0-0 Draw for FC Columbus and Michigan Stars FC

By FC Columbus

Welcoming Michigan Stars FC to Columbus for the first time in club history, FC Columbus left two points on the field after earning its first draw of the season, a 0-0 result.

On a perfect summer evening, FC Columbus looked to bounce back following their 3-1 defeat to Detroit City FC. Despite the familiarity of a home setting, FCCLB started slow again as the visiting side from the Detroit Metro area came out swinging early.

In the seventh minute of the match, Michigan Stars FC midfielder Tom Bar Yosef found space to unleash a stinging effort on net. Reaching to his left, Bryant Pratt was equal to the task denying the visitors an early opening goal.

It didn’t take long for FCCLB to answer, as Damani Camara unleashed a shot from just inside the box that just sailed over the bar in the 16th minute of play.

It clearly became evident that the visiting side was looking to make their presence known. In the 44th minute, after cutting inside from the left wing, Damani Camara was brought down just outside the box. Stepping up, Camara made good contact with the ball but sailed it just over the bar.

Following the halftime break, the pace of the match picked up as both clubs looked to break through and take the lead. In the 54th minute, Camara was again on the front foot as his free kick towards the near post was deflected wide earning a corner for the home side. The ensuing ball in resulted in a headed attempt by FCCLB’s Kangni Gabianou that was tracked down by Michigan Stars FC’s Keith Arndt.

Moments later in the 60th minute, Camara found enough space at the top of the box to unleash a dipping effort. Displaying an impressive bit of athleticism, Arndt dove to his right and tipped the ball onto the post and out of bounds.

The momentum seemed to shift in favor of the visiting side following the impressive save by their goalkeeper. In the 71st minute, a hard shot by forward Steven Juncaj forced another fantastic, diving save by Columbus, Ohio native Bryant Pratt of Indiana University.

Again, FC Columbus took control of the match looking for the game-winner. Having come on in the 50th minute, Michael Chilton took advantage of his fresh legs and dispossessed Arndt following a weak back pass in the 87th minute. Using his athleticism, Arndt made up ground and in a diving effort, punched the ball out of bounds. On the ensuing corner, a swung-in ball fell to Chilton on the back post. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t FCCLB’s night as his poin- blank effort was denied by a diving Michigan Stars FC defender in the 89th minute.

With the draw, FC Columbus moves 2-3-3 and 2-1-2 in the Great Lakes Conference. FCCLB heads on the road this Sunday, June 9th to face AFC Ann Arbor at Concordia University in Ann Arbor, Michigan.


Photo Credit: Justin Anderson/FC Columbus


Other Articles

League News
League News