New Orleans Jesters Defeats Port City FC 1-0 in U-19 Pilot

By Port City FC

The Port City FC U-19s fell 1-0 at home against the New Orleans Jesters U19s via an eighth minute goal from a set piece. 

The game was a tight affair with very few open chances for either side.  For the first seven minutes, there were no chances for either side.  What seemed like a meaningless set piece around midfield proved to be the pivotal blow.  The Jesters swung a set piece into the back post and it was headed in past the Port City goalkeeper. 

The Jesters gained confidence from the goal and began to apply more pressure on the Port City backline.  The visitors fashioned together an opening on the 13 minute mark; however, it was swept up nicely and cleared away by a Port City center back.

As the first half progressed, the Junior Sounders began to find their footing.  In the 20th minute, they strung together some passes which resulted in a corner.  However, the Jesters defended well to clear their lines.  Port City pushed forward again following a string of passes which resulted in a cross that was headed over the bar from the left winger.  In the 33rd minute, the Sounders broke through on the counter with the ball falling again to the left winger.  Taking on the defender 1v1, the effort looked to be curled in on target but was pushed just wide of the post. 

In the 37th minute, the Jesters goalkeeper and Sounders forwards battled for a ball that was bouncing around in the area.  Unable to make clean contact with the ball, the Jesters keeper eventually got hold of the ball to stop the attack.  This would prove to be the best chance of the half for the home side.

The second half proved to be a lot like the first with not many clear chances for either side.  In the 51st minute, a good spell of play from the visitors resulted in a cross and an attempted overhead kick from the center forward.  The ball eventually broke to the right winger who forced a great save from the Sounders goalkeeper.

As the match went on in the second half, legs began to go which caused the game to open up a bit.  However, each defense stood strong and only offered half chances and crosses from either side. The last 10 minutes of the match tested the nerves of the Jesters backline, who in the end stood strong.  The best chance for the Junior Sounders in the second half came in the 86th minute.  The ball was clipped into the center forward, who beat the oncoming goalkeeper with a flicked header but the ball went just wide of the post. 

The Port City FC U19s will be back in action on Monday, April 12 when they travel to Southern States Soccer Club.

Photo Credit: Port City FC


Other Articles