Northern Virginia United Defeats FC Frederick 3-1

By Nicky Wolcott/FC Frederick

After a first half in which neither side registered a shot on target, Northern Virginia United scored three second-half goals before allowing a late consolation goal in a 3-1 victory at Urbana High School.

Northern Virginia United (2-0) took the lead in the 53rd minute after midfielder Evan Walker played through to defender William Noecker, whose shot from a tight angle found the bottom left corner.  The goal was the first shot on target of the match from either side.

FC Frederick midfielder Fabio Podmelle was sent off in the 76th minute after a hard challenge, and Northern Virginia United capitalized with a man advantage.  It doubled its lead in the 82nd minute after midfielder Carter Humm got in behind FC Frederick’s defense from a long ball by Jordan McMillen and found the back of the net with a first-time chip over goalkeeper Bennett Schwartz.

Northern Virginia United added its third goal in the 86th minute after a shot from Humm came off the crossbar and deflected in off of FC Frederick defender Michael Kreider.

FC Frederick (0-2-1) scored in second half stoppage time after forward Elias Norris found defender Cole Hellert.  

Hellert’s shot from 10 yards out found the bottom corner to give FC Frederick a consolation goal in the team’s third straight loss to Northern Virginia United.

FC Frederick started the game on the front foot and almost took the lead in the 21st minute when forward John A. Eskay cut inside onto his left foot and struck a shot off the crossbar from 20 yards out.

Northern Virginia United’s best chance of the half came in the 24th minute, when McMillen’s header from a long throw went just wide.

The game went into halftime tied 0-0, with both sides registering only two shots a piece. 

FC Frederick had a great chance to take the lead in the 47th minute after forward Norris won the ball off a defender.  Norris put in a low cross that found forward Jerry Zouantcha, however, his shot from 10 yards out was blocked.

Midfielder Uriel Zeitz was subbed on for his debut in the 63th minute and almost scored with his first touch for FC Frederick, but his shot was pawed off the line by goalkeeper Ethan McMillen.  Zeitz, the 2019 Ivy League Rookie of the Year, had another golden opportunity just two minutes later after being played in behind by midfielder Ander Etxainz.  However, Zeitz’s 1-on-1 was once again saved to maintain Northern Virginia United’s one-goal advantage.

Despite the final scoreline, both sides registered 10 shots and FC Frederick would go on to rue its many missed chances before collapsing after going down to 10 men. 

FC Frederick returns to action on June 13 at Virginia Beach City FC, looking to avenge its 2-1 loss to Virginia Beach City FC from its season opener.

Photo Credit: FC Frederick


Other Articles