FC Motown Defeats Philadelphia Union Development Squad at MSU Soccer Park

By FC Motown

Playing their second of three games over seven days, roster rotation between the last match and decisions for the third game was on the mind of the defending national champions.  Even greater, the same opponent in the Philadelphia Union Development Squad that FC Motown closely fought off just 2-1 from a few days earlier was the opponent for the evening’s match.  To add further drama and tension, the kickoff was postponed nearly a half hour due to thunder and lightning in the area. 

Lightning and thunder were the themes in tonight’s match as FC Motown would go on to score five goals in the opening 24 minutes.  In the third minute, former Greenville Triumph and Chattanooga FC winger Christopher Bermudez stole the ball around midfield and proceeded to chip the goalkeeper.  The scoring continued in the eighth minute where former Turkish youth national team player Yusuf Cueceoglu buried his chance to put the home side up 2-0.  

The scoreline turned to 3-0 in the 13th minute when Emil Jaaskelainen slotted his chance.  The match was the debut for the LIU native, one of college soccer’s top goal scorers in 2022. Bermudez had his brace just five minutes later in the 19th minute to put FC Motown up 4-0.  In the 23rd minute, Motown added its fifth goal off the foot of former MLS SuperDraft selection Joseph Holland to firmly stamp their hold on the game. 

The Philly Union squad didn’t let the scoreline phase them as the group continued to create chances in the FC Motown defensive third.  Ian Abbey got a shot off in the 26th minute before a wondrous shot in the 37th minute got the Union on the scoreboard to make the game 5-1. 

FC Motown answered back only four minutes later as former NY Red Bulls midfielder Christopher Lema, on his return to one of his old professional stadiums, assisted Jaaskelainen to make the game 6-1 going into halftime. 

In the 55th, Holland assisted to give Cueceoglu his brace as FC Motown made quick work of the second half to make the game 7-1. 

The Union reestablished the five-goal deficit in the 62nd minute off a rebound, and the game was now 7-2 with less than half an hour to play. 

Lema was again the provider in the 82nd minute as his service found the head of Herm Achterkamp as the home team brought the game to 8-2. 

The 10-goal thriller finally came to a close as no further goals were scored after 90 minutes.  All 18 players from FC Motown saw the field as the team closed out the first half of their regular season undefeated. 

FC Motown returns to action this Saturday at MSU Soccer Park on the campus of Montclair State University as they take on FC Monmouth at 7:00 pm. 


Photo Credit: Irish Maliborski


Other Articles

League News
League News