FC Monmouth Defeats First State FC 3-1

By Chris Dailey

FC Monmouth prevailed over First State FC with a scoreline of 3-1, delighting the resilient fans who attended the match despite a weather delay that postponed kickoff by 30 minutes.

FC Monmouth’s Davide Caputo delivered two inch-perfect through balls in the opening 11 minutes to both John Troiano and Aniello Lubrano who both capitalized on the opportunities and gave FC Monmouth an early lead.

Despite the big lead at the half, First State FC fought back and was able to score within the first two minutes of the second half.

First State settled into the game, but FC Monmouth proved to be too much to handle and connected on all cylinders as evident in Jack Wagoner’s goal later on in the second half.

Wagoner, who has been working hard towards a goal all season and been very unlucky at times, was delighted to have finally put one into the back of the net.

“I’m feeling happy,” Wagoner said. “I think it’s been a long time awaited and especially coming at a good time as they made it 2-1 earlier and we were pushing for a win and that third goal felt like we secured the win and I’m happy to get three points out of it.”

Caputo, meanwhile, has had his name on the scoresheet several times throughout the season. Whether it be assists or goals, Caputo has been the main man in charge of FC Monmouth’s attack, connecting the defense to offense superbly.  The midfielder coming out of Rowan University missed FC Monmouth’s last road match at FC Motown and it proved to be costly as the Blue and Gold lost 3-1.

Caputo was ecstatic to be back and helping the team out again.

“I feel good,” Caputo said. “I mean I’m not surprised.  I put the balls through and my players were there to pick it up and finish the ball.”

FC Monmouth head coach John Killick spoke about Caputo’s role in the squad.  

“Davide is just amazing,” Killick said. “Having an impact so early in the game is just great, and he’s just a good player.”

With Caputo’s excellence and a big win, FC Monmouth is in fine form coming into the final two games of the season.  The first is away from home against local rivals Jackson Lions FC, and the latter is a home match against Philadelphia Union Development Squad.

FC Monmouth players and staff are cherishing each moment they have, having formed a tight bond throughout the season that will be looked back upon forever.

“I said it all season, we have a very good squad,” Killick said. “Great players, great ability, just needed a little bit of luck to have a better reflection on the scoreboard, but as far as playing it’s been a great season.” 

Killick’s players can attest to the bond that the team has created.

“I loved it,” Wagoner said. “The guys have been great, the team has been great, and I’m loving the area and as much as we want results, we are happy playing together, and we’re a good team, and I’m having fun so far.”

Caputo also reflected on the experience.

“I enjoyed it a lot,” Caputo said. “New friends, new people to play with, a bunch of players from all different places, and I think it’s showing just before the end of the season with us getting this win.” 

FC Monmouth’s big win was a mere reflection of the work the group has put in all year, and with two games left in the season, the club is hungry to fight for six points to cap off an amazing year. 

Photo Credit: Mike Langish


Other Articles