TSF FC and Boston City FC Battle to a 2-2 Draw in TSF’s Season Opener

On what turned out to be a perfect Sunday afternoon, TSF FC battled to a draw in their 2018 NPSL season opening match with Boston City FC. A late equalizer from Boston City saw the match end 2-2 at DePaul Catholic HS in Wayne, NJ.

The match opened with Boston City attacking, earning them a corner kick and a free kick in the first few minutes. Both set pieces were defended by TSF, who worked to find their rhythm over the next few minutes.

TSF nearly broke through in the 22nd minute as midfielder Luis Mendoza was nearly in on goal, but BCFC keeper Colan Balkwell managed to get to the ball just in time.  Minutes later it was Boston City’s turn to attack, seeing a shot inside the box by Rigoberto Jimenez fly over the crossbar. The 33rd minute was Boston City open the scoring as Homero Morais slotted a shot into the right side of TSF’s goal. The game would go into halftime with a 1-0 scoreline.

The second half opened with TSF FC on the front foot as a free kick was earned by halftime substitute Ben Zakowski, a current TSF Academy player. Nothing would come of this free kick. The next few minutes saw TSF working possession of the ball.

Boston City nearly doubled its lead in the 59th minute, but TSF left back Thomas Stickley, another current TSF Academy standout, cleared the shot off the goal line. The following corner was headed by Boston City off the outside of TSF’s goalpost for a goal kick. TSF would take the ball the other way down the field and equalize through Zakowski’s well-struck shot. Just minutes later TSF took that lead after stiker Cameron Harr was brought down by Balkwell inside the box. Harr stepped up to the spot and put TSF ahead 2-1 in the 67th minute.

Boston City had an opportunity to answer moments later, but an Isaac Addai free kick was easily saved by TSF FC goalkeeper Santiago Castano. It was TSF’s turn to attack next as Ritchie Barry saw a nicely lobbed shot go just over the crossbar in the 73rd minute.

The next few minutes saw both side making a number of changes to bring on fresh legs as TSF worked to hold their lead. After a number of chances from TSF to add to their lead, the match went in to stoppage time. With the crowd baying for a final whistle, Boston City won a free kick in shooting range. Addai stepped up and snuck a shot into the bottom right corner to earn a draw for Boston City FC with the final kick of a very lengthy stoppage time.

TSF FC will look to improve upon this afternoon’s 2-2 draw as they face New York Cosmos B on Thursday May 24th at Fairleigh Dickinson University.


Contributor: TSF FC
Photo Credit: TSF FC

Other Articles