FC Columbus Defeats Kalamazoo FC 3-1

Looking to bounce back following a late defeat against Detroit City FC on Friday night, Columbus’s Bismark Agyeman scored a late penalty to earn FC Columbus its first NPSL win of the season against Kalamazoo FC.

Celebrating the Memorial Day weekend for the first time in Grandview Heights, FC Columbus made a few changes to its starting XI and got off to a quick start against Kalamazoo FC.

After some initial probing efforts by both clubs, FC Columbus took the lead in the 12th minute as Damani Camara notched his third goal of the season after getting on the end of a well-played through ball by Hakim Diaw.

It appeared that FC Columbus had doubled their lead after Mamadou Ba found Camara alone inside the box from the Kalamazoo endline. Camara appeared to have scored for the second time in the 16th minute only to have his celebration cut short due to a ruling that the ball gone out prior to the cross in by Ba.

Following the mandatory water break in the 35th minute due to the heat index, Kalamazoo FC came back onto the field with a renewed spirit. After a few half chances by the away team, a bad foul by Diaw in his own box allowed Kalamazoo FC’s Jordan Veillette to draw the visitors level in the 45th minute just before the break.

With the momentum following their late first half goal, FC Kalamazoo started the second half strong, nearly taking the lead in the 56th minute if not for a spectacular save by FC Columbus’s Clay Musgrave.

FC Columbus all but regained the leaded in the 65th minute when Camara forced a sprawling save from Kalamazoo FC’s Beau Prey. Camara would come close again the 67th minute, only to be denied by the post.

Momentum again looked to have shifted in favor of the visitors in the 83rd minute as Musgrave was called into action to deny a long-distance effort by Kalamazoo FC.

Having missed chances late against Detroit City FC three days earlier, FC Columbus capitalized on that experience and took the lead in the 88th minute when Bismark Agyeman converted a penalty after having been taken down in the box. John Bain earned the assist for the through ball that caused the Kalamazoo FC foul on Agyeman.

Playing with confidence, FC Columbus doubled their lead when Jonatan “Corro” Alvarez found Camara on the break. Camara didn’t miss his chance to secure his second brace of the season and FC Columbus’s first three points at home.

FC Columbus is back in action at home against first place AFC Ann Arbor at 3:00 pm on Sunday, June 3rd.


Contributor: FC Columbus
Photo Credit: Ken Tishenkel/ISNSoccer.com

Other Articles

League News