FC Monmouth Downs Electric City 2-1

FC Monmouth continued their unbeaten run at home with a 2-1 victory over Electric City Shock SC at Count Basie Park on Wednesday evening, seeing their record in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) rise to 3-3-1.

“I love this team,” said FC Monmouth head coach Brian Woods. “They love putting on the uniform, they love being in the locker room and it’s just a good atmosphere around the guys.”

FC Monmouth continued their trend of early first half goals in the fifteenth minute when forward Jordan Saling converted from the penalty spot for the second match in a row to give his side the lead. After keeping an aerial pass down the left wing in play, forward Matt Thorsheim cut into the box on his right foot around a defender before quickly touching the ball to his left, drawing the foul.

A little over ten minutes later, the hosts doubled their advantage. Forward Daniel Vicente scored his first goal for the club with a dazzling solo effort. After intercepting a pass near midfield, Vicente turned and knocked the ball down the left wing. The forward engaged in a 40-yard foot race with a defender and regained possession of the ball just outside of the box before quickly shifting it onto his right foot and curling a shot into the far corner of the net.

“I saw all of the space and then I saw that I could beat the guy with speed,” said Vicente, who was named Professional Orthopaedic Associates Man of the Match. “I’ve been practicing that shot every practice because I’ve been getting a lot of stick for roofing the ball… it feels good to get a goal finally because I’ve been working hard.”

FC Monmouth entered the halftime break with a 2-0 lead after a convincing 45 minutes.

“We dominated the first half, but I went into halftime a little upset,” said Woods. “We didn’t put our foot on their throat. We needed to get the third goal.” Woods said that his side needed to be more relentless in search for another goal as opposed to being content with what was a two-goal lead at the time.

Five minutes into the second half, the Electric City Shock drew a goal back through Jimmy Wilcox. A cross was sent in from the left side of the box and Wilcox rose high above defender Andy Martinez and goalkeeper Scott Weigel to head home.

Monmouth nearly restored their two-goal lead in the 59th minute when a swift counter attacking move saw Saling have a shot on goal saved by the Electric City keeper.

Ten minutes later, the Shock rattled the crossbar with an effort from Oscar Angel-Velasquez. The ball hit the bar and went straight down into the turf before being cleared away from danger.

Another chance from Monmouth went begging in the 77th minute after a combination of quick passes on the counter resulted in midfielder Justin White’s follow-up shot to be stuffed by the keeper. Later, White hit the crossbar with another goalward effort.

FC Monmouth were able to hold on for the 2-1 win, keeping their record at home spotless at 3-0-1.

“I think we had a good game,” said midfielder George Akampeke. Akampeke said that the winning mentality that he and his teammates have will be important as FC Monmouth push for a playoff spot late in the season.

FC Monmouth is next in action on Saturday when they travel to face the winless Torch FC in Pennsylvania.

“We’re hoping for another three points, get to four wins, and then see what happens in the last two matches,” Woods said.


Contributor: Evan McMurtrie/FC Monmouth
Photo Credit: FC Monmouth

Other Articles

League News
League News