Boston City FC Falls to Kingston Stockade FC 5-1

Boston City FC were scorched by the heat in Kingston and also the hometown Stockade as the Lions ended their exploits away from home for 2018 with a 5-1 defeat on the road in the Hudson Valley.

The visitors played the second half with only ten men as Jadson Leite saw red for a tackle on Pedro Espindola in added time before the interval, but already trailed 4-0 at that point.  Coby Handy scored the Lions’ consolation goal seven minutes into the second half.

The signs were ominous after ten minutes when Matt Koziol dispossessed Santi Cardona and played a through ball to Scott Zobra, whose shot was well-saved by Jacob Wagmeister.  Despite picking the ball out his net five times, the keeper again impressed with a series of impressive saves.

The opening goal came after 14 minutes. Espindola cut inside on the end of a Zobre pass and his shot was palmed away by Wagmeister but Michael Creswick was on hand to tap in the rebound.  It was 2-0 only three minutes later when Juan Parada doubled the advantage.

Wagmeister again came to the rescue after 27 minutes and again due to a defensive lapse.  Paulo Henrique gave away possession to Parada and the keeper came out to smother and deny Zobre.  He repeated the feat a minute later.

Two minutes after the restart, Boston City came close to halving the deficit on a swift counter attack as the impressive Cardona fed Handy on the left, the Haitian forward cut inside and his bullet from 25 yards ricocheted back off the crossbar.

The Lions pressed again, and a Rigoberto Jiminez free kick was tipped over the bar by home keeper TJ Zehner after 35 minutes.

But within three minutes it was 4-0 to the Stockade.  Parada grabbed his second before another costly turnover in the Boston City half and a deep cross invited the lively Espindola to score at the far post.  To compound the misery. Leite was send to the locker room on the stroke of halftime.

Handy used his pace to charge clear of his marker down the right wing and bury a decisive finish with seven minutes played in the second half, but it proved to be the only reward for the Lions.

Wagmeister superbly tipped a free kick over the bar at full stretch, but was beaten with 63 minutes played when a ball fell nicely ten yards from goal at a corner for substitute Nick Shenberger, who made no mistake.


Contributor: Michael Preston/Boston City FC
Photo Credit: Michael Preston/Boston City FC

Other Articles

League News