On a rainy July evening in Erie, PA, Syracuse FC faced the Erie Commodores in the final match of their inaugural season. The highly competitive match saw intense action and tactical ability, and ended in a 1-1 draw.

Following Erie’s opening kick, both teams displayed methodical tactics in attempting to score the match’s opening goal. In the beginning minutes, an early threatening corner by SFC was handily dealt with by the Erie backline.

Patient team play and passing resulted in an early goal for SFC. Offensive possession in the 18th minute led to a touch by Jake Kohlbrenner in front of the net. Kohlbrenner swiftly slotted his shot into the left half of the goal, giving the away team a 1-0 lead. The goal marked the third of the year for the SFC midfielder.

As the first half progressed, SFC continued to put pressure on Erie and the Commodores defense. Erie was able to tie the match at 1-1 in the 32nd minute with a goal scored by Ezana Kahsay.  Erie’s subsequent scoring opportunities were swiftly dealt with by the SFC backline and the smart instincts of goalkeeper Pat Castle. At the conclusion of the first half of play, SFC and Erie remained deadlocked at one goal apiece.

The second half of the match began with meaningful possession by SFC in the attacking third of the pitch, resulting in some quality shots.

The match was interrupted by lightning in the 67th minute, which resulted in a stoppage of play. At this point in the evening, the rain began to fall heavily, creating a slippery field surface for the remainder of the match. Both teams had scoring opportunities following the stoppage, but neither was able to produce a go-ahead goal.

SFC received two corner kicks that put pressure on the Erie defense during the closing minutes, but the match was still tied at 1-1 at the double whistle.

Syracuse FC earned a point for their quality effort on the road, giving them nine points for the season and an inaugural season record of 2-3-7 in NPSL play and 3-3-7 overall.

Other Articles

League News
League News