Modest as it was the Regiment’s two-game winning streak ended Sunday afternoon with a 3-2 loss to FC Buffalo.  The second half saw FPR give up three goals.

Andres Vega opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when he stole the ball at midfield and worked his way to the top of the box before ripping a shot past Jeremy Figler.  It was Vega’s second goal of the season.

FPR’s Nick Kolarac made it 2-0 second goal of the year in the 34th minute.  He rifled a shot past Figler from about the same spot as the Vega tally.

Following the break FPR showed signs of their Friday night trip to Syracuse with a series of turnovers, poorly timed runs, and mishit passes.  Akean Shackleford took advantage of the Red Coats’ inability to maintain possession with a 49th minute goal.

Max Flick had a couple of great chances to extend the lead back to two goals in a ten minute span between the 64th and 74th minutes.  The conversion of either would have likely salted away the game in FPR’s favor.

The first came as FPR were starting to catch a second wind from the long weekend when Flick drilled a ball off the post as a helpless Figler could only watch.  He ventured in-field from the left wing off a give and go with Vega to find the space for the shot.

Ten minutes later Flick used a great cross from Jesse Scheirer to head another shot on goal.  Figler was in position for the shot.

FC Buffalo drew even in the 75th minute when the Regiment defense misplayed a Bayley Winkel cross.  Matt McDyer knocked the low, driven ball into the FPR goal to knot the score 2-2.

FC Buffalo netted the game winner in the 83rd minute. Braden Scales battled the FPR backline to head the second ball off a cross past FPR ‘keeper Brenden Alfery.  The final minutes of the game proved to be a series of thwarted efforts to penetrate the FC Buffalo defense until the second minute of stoppage time when Jack Webber flicked a header to Lamine Balde.

The Regiment close the season at home against Syracuse FC on July 15 at 7:00 pm at Highmark Stadium.

Other Articles