The game was played on a lovely warm summer evening.

Both teams were playing for a much-needed win. United were at it from the start and were pushing for an early goal. In the 11th minute, Darragh Rainsford hit a great shot, which was magnificently saved by the Revolution’s Carson Oakes. In the 17th minute, Evan O’Connor broke into the box and hit a shot, just wide, into the side netting, but offside was signaled. Again, on the 20th minute, O’Connor burst on to a through ball, cleared by the Revolution keeper.

In the 25th minute the Revolution had a goal disallowed for offside. In the 28th minute, James Galvani made some room for himself to get off a shot, just wide. In the 30th minute the Revolution broke into the box and United’s Sergio Lemus made a great one-on-one save, but was injured in the clash. Thankfully he was okay to continue. Both teams were pushing for the goals and playing quality soccer. In the 44th minutes, Rainsford put his header, from a Tomas Brennan corner, inches over the bar. Halftime showed a score of 0-0.

United started the second half with a substitution; Kyle Brathwaite replaced by Oscar Laija. United were going all out to gain the lead in this closely fought game. In the 53rd minute United were given a penalty and up stepped, top scorer Darragh Rainsford. He neatly placed the ball in the top right corner, giving his side a 1-0 lead. Revolution made their first change in the 56th minute; Oliver Haines replaced Shaun Greenfield. In the 57th minute the Revolution were in on goal and again Lemus won the one-on-one.

United were really searching for the second goal, with a shot from Tomas Brennan saved by the keeper and a shot from Diego Delacruz coming back off the post in the 59th and 60th min, respectfully. In the 62nd minute Revolution had a shot over the bar and immediately made a substitution. Robel Davis replaced Sam Choi. In the 64th minute United were awarded a corner and Philip Smithers scored his first goal of the season, putting the score up 2-0. Revolution were quick to try and reply with a header, on the far post, just wide. On the 67th minute United were 3-0 up with a great run from Brennan, following up with a great reaction to the rebound.

In the 70th minute United made their second substitution as Derek Norris replaced Conor Maher. The 71st minute again saw Revolution put the ball wide of the United goal. The Revolution made their third change in the 72nd minute with Kofi Yankey replacing Cameron Moseley. The 74th minute saw United make their final change with Joshua Irons replacing Marco Gatzke. The Revolution were pushing hard to get into the game and they made a further two substitutions with Jacob Sayer replacing Carl Adjaho and Bokie Yeanay in for Christian Duncan. This culminated in Revolution pulling back a goal, scored by Steven Bivens, bringing the score to 3-1.

The Revolution were now showing a bit more fight and were doing everything they could to score again. A yellow card for United came in the 88th minute, but United defended their lead resolutely until the final whistle.

Other Articles