Following a weather delay of just over an hour, TSF FC and Greater Lowell NPSL FC kicked off at 8:10 pm on Saturday night at DePaul Catholic High School in Wayne, NJ. After a scoreless first half, TSF ran rampant in the second by scoring five goals and entertaining the supporters who came out despite the weather.

TSF FC opened the game the stronger side, with early possession producing a corner kick. The following minute, Almir Bastisa drove into the Greater Lowell penalty box, wining a second TSF corner in the opening minutes of the match. A TSF attacker was able to get a head on the corner, but rang it off the crossbar. Greater Lowell took the ball the other way up the field winning a corner of their own. Despite a scramble in front of the goal, GLNPSLFC was unable to capitalize.

In the 19th minute, Greater Lowell fouled a TSF player resulting in a yellow card. The ensuing free kick did not produce a goal, nor did a shot on goal from Luis Mendoza the following minute. The early yellow card proved to be costly for Greater Lowell though, as in just the 25th minute the same player was shown a second yellow card for a reckless challenge on TSF’s Steve Zamudio. The following free kick was put just over the bar.

Seeing an opportunity to make a quick tactical change, coach Luis Mendoza brought ten-year TSF Academy player JP Gonzales into the game, swapping him for Steve Zamudio.  In the 30th minute TSF earned another free kick in shooting range. Lined up off the right side of goal, TSF left back Kevin Santamaria struck a great effort on target, but the Greater Lowell keeper made a great save, tipping the ball away.

Following a quiet few minutes, Gonzales began making his presence felt, fizzing a shot from distance just over the crossbar. The last chance of the half came as TSF earned another free kick in first half stoppage time. Kevin Santamaria stood over the ball again from almost the same spot as his previous free kick. Again Santamaria hit the ball well, this time beating the keeper only to hit the post. This sent both teams into half time scoreless, but with Greater Lowell already down a man.

TSF opening the second half with a couple of substitutions, most notably bringing on current TSF Academy U16 goalkeeper Danny DiMarco for his NPSL debut. From the second half whistle, TSF began to impose their will upon the game. The GLNPSL keeper was forced to make a fine save off of a point blank effort in 46th minute. Just a few minutes later Almir Batista broke the deadlock, putting a Santamaria cross into the back of the net. Only two minutes later TSF doubled the lead as Lucas Terci put a beautiful free kick that left the GLNPSL keeper rooted to the ground into the back of the net.

Hoping to inject some energy into their side, Greater Lowell made a couple of changes in the 54th minute. TSF would make several changes as well, but not much changed as TSF stuck again in the 68th minute as a Tyler Pinho shot found its way into the back of the net. TSF FC newcomer and eight-year academy player Teddy Forson opened his account for TSF FC in the 80th minute to go up 4-0. He would strike again in the 90th minute, just before the final whistle blew.

The thrilling 5-0 victory has TSF FC on a five-game unbeaten run and very much in contention for an NPSL playoff spot. Next up TSF visits Kingston Stockade FC in a NPSL Northeast cross-conference matchup.

Other Articles

League News