Detroit City FC defeated Grand Rapids FC, 3-1, in front of 5,154 supporters to pick up their first National Premier Soccer League victory of the season Friday night at Keyworth Stadium.

Though Grand Rapids played almost the entire match with ten men, they opened the scoring in the 28th minute. But it was City who closed out the match with three unanswered goals from Louis Dargent, Shawn Lawson and Derrick Otim.

Man of the Match honors went to Tyrone Mondi for an assist and creating several chances up front.

The win lifts Detroit to a 1-2-1 (W-T-L) record and five points in the standings. Grand Rapids fall to 2-2-1 and are now only two points up on City.

The match opened with a bang when Grand Rapids goalie Noah Fazekas aggressively took out Mondi outside the box to earn a red card. Aaron Orban came in to replace Fazekas.

Despite some early chances for City trying to take advantage of having the extra man, it was Grand Rapids’ Greg Timmer who scored the game’s first goal in the 28th minute. He buried it off a volley from Cam Cavanagh leaving City goalie Colin Miller no time to react.

Two minutes later, it was Detroit’s Louis Dargent with the answer off an assist from Bakie Goodman to tie the game, 1-1. The midfielder’s first City goal could not have come at a better time to keep momentum from going to Grand Rapids.

Bakie Goodman and Mondi had a couple more chances before halftime, but the score remained 1-1 at the break.

In the second half it was all Le Rouge, who opened with several chances from Mondi, Saydee and Dargent. Aaron Franco and Zach Bock in the back played a key role in setting up chances.

The first City sub was Roddy Green, who came in for Goodman in the 56th minute.

Shortly after, Mondi had a breakaway chance off a feed from Saydee but was denied by Orban. Defender Spencer Glass made a nice chance for himself in the 60th minute, and though he was denied, he made good with his fancy footwork.

The possession remained mostly with Detroit, who put through chance after chance. Glass sent in a nice free kick to Bock at the back post but he just missed.

Otim came in for Omar Sinclair and Lawson came in for Tyler Moorman in the 73rd minute. Lawson made an immediate impact scoring in the 78th minute to give Detroit their first lead of the match, 2-1. Mondi was there with the assist.

Captain David Edwardson replaced Saydee and Troy Watson came in for Mondi in the 81st minute.

In the 82nd minute, Otim and Edwardson made their presence felt as substitutes. Edwardson was there to assist Otim who scored the game-sealing goal to make it 3-1 in the 82nd minute.

Jeff Adkins replaced Dargent in the 88th minute. A yellow card was issued to Grand Rapids’ Jalen Rodriguez in the 90th minute. Despite some aggressive at the end, Detroit was able to hold on for a crucial three points.

Detroit’s first league win could not have come at a better time. They will be back to work Sunday in Lafayette, Indiana to take on FC Indiana at 2 pm ET.

Other Articles

League News
League News