Ann Arbor Come From Behind to Beat Grand Rapids, 2-1

AFC Ann Arbor secured an important come-from behind victory over Grand Rapids FC on Memorial Day.

The match started brightly for The Mighty Oak. Chances in the second, eighth and ninth minute were all close, but none found their way in the back of the net.

Grand Rapids seemed to find their footing and began to put some offensive pressure on Ann Arbor. With such an open game, both sides saw several opportunities go begging. However, in the 30th minute, it was Grand Rapids who struck first.

A Grand Rapids striker stuck a foot out and poked the ball around the keeper to put Grand Rapids up 1-0.

Despite a long-distance Jake Rosen effort hitting the crossbar and Yuri Farkas burying the rebound, the referee ruled Farkas was in an offside position, and the goal was called back.

The first half came to a close with Grand Rapids taking a 1-0 advantage into the break. However, that was all to change in the second half.

In the 57th minute, Audi of Ann Arbor Man of the Match Jesse Muskwe slid a cross to Hector Morales and the Cuban buried the chance to level to score.

Just eight minutes later, Muskwe turned from provider to finisher – rifling his effort off the post and into the back of the net to put The Mighty Oak up 2-1.

The men fought hard and controlled the ball to see out an important 2-1 win.

Coach Rudland was happy with the result, and pointed to some of the changes in the side being key to the victory.

“A couple guys hadn’t been in the team over the course of the past four matches, and for Hector to come on and score a goal, Jake Rosen played well at outside back, David at center back. That’s great for us to see.  You lose a few guys out of the team but that’s what this is about – other guys stepping up to the plate. “

The result sees The Mighty Oak move to 15 points from six NPSL matches.

In the next match, Ann Arbor hit the road to Berkley, MI where they take on Michigan Stars, Friday June 2nd.

Other Articles

League News