FC Carolina United started the game with great confidence and were quickly into their stride, with a well-taken goal, from the edge of the box by Fabricio Barancoski.

Unfortunately, for United, the game was turned on its head with two quick goals from the opponents in the 4th and 5th minute. Asheville firstly played a long diagonal ball from right back to left forward in behind the United right back Derek Landry, a goal that was well-finished by Asheville’s  Elma N’For. From the restart United’s Marco Gatzke misplaced a pass in midfield and Asheville played a quick thru ball to N’For, who finished in the bottom right corner, giving Asheville the 2-1 advantage.

United quickly regained their composure and started to dominate the play, making a few untaken chances. United had to stay aware as Asheville were playing long diagonal balls from the full backs and trying to utilize the space in behind the United backs with very fast forwards.

United made two substitutions on 35 minutes, with Derek Norris and Brandon Anselmo replacing Derek Landry and Conor Maher. United continued to dominate play until halftime without any luck in the final third. halftime Asheville continued to cling to a 2-1 lead.

FC Carolina United came out to start the second half with huge confidence and again dominated the play. They had nullified the Asheville threat of long balls, with the forwards working tirelessly to prevent their backs from having the chance to play them, thus forcing them to try and play through the thirds. A very energetic midfield for United made it hard for them to play. Marco Gatzke was replaced by Felippe Netto on 59 minutes. With two big strikers up front for United, they started to deliver quick balls into the box, causing havoc among the Asheville back line. In the 60th minute United’s Junior Nyemb broke into the left side of the box and dispatched a great curling ball into the far right side of the goal to make it 2-2.

On 64 minutes United center back Evan O’Connor picked up a loose ball from corner on the edge of the box and put the ball into the Asheville goal, disallowed for offside.In the 68th minute united were awarded a penalty and Nyemb placed the ball on the spot, with calm and collected confidence. He hit the ball hard and unfortunately it rebounded off the crossbar and it was urgently cleared by Asheville. On 70 minutes N’For again managed to collect a long ball and ran at the United goal and finished, scoring his hat trick.

Asheville made two substitutions on the 76th minute and refreshed their midfield. United were pushing for the equalizer and playing all the football with Asheville reverting to ten men behind the ball and trying to play a counter-attacking game.

With United committing men forward Asheville again got in behind in the 86th minute, causing O’Connor to commit a foul. The result was straight red card as he was the last man.United pushed up their remaining centre back and played three at the back, trying everything to get the equalizer. United continued to push for the equalizer until the final whistle, but the win and the resulting three points went to Asheville City SC..

Other Articles

League News