Two red cards, five yellow cards, and three goals made for an action packed match as OSA FC defeated Portland Spartans FC on a beautiful Saturday evening in Portland, Oregon. The result also secured OSA FC’s place in the postseason.

The Portland Spartans went down a man early in the first half when defender Anthony Hobbs was given a straight red card for a challenge in the 17th minute. Despite the red card, the Spartans continued to fight and counter as they generated a few chances before the half.

OSA FC defended well when the Spartans countered, and were able to generate some chances of their own through patient build-up. But they were unable to take advantage of their extra man in the first half. They had to sub off attacker David Coly in the 25th minute due to injury and replaced him with Steven Wright. OSA’s Eli Gordley received the first yellow card of the match in the 42nd minute. OSA pushed hard in the final minutes of the half to try to open the scoring. But the half ended scoreless between the teams.

The second half was where most of the action was. The Spartans came out strong in the first few minutes, but it was the visitors who drew first blood. In the 55th minute, OSA FC earned a free kick in dangerous territory. OSA’s Sean Russell was able to get his head to the ball near the penalty spot and send the ball past the Spartans’ keeper for the opening goal. From there the game continued to get more chippy, with multiple yellow cards coming pretty quickly. Spartans’ Ryan Middleton received a yellow in the 57th minute, followed by teammate Cameron La Fleur in the 59th minute. And in the 65th minute, OSA’s Matt Shaxton made it two yellow cards for each side.

The home side were able to equalize in the 67th minute when Matt Dwyer sent a low strong shot towards the far post and into the side netting. And five minutes later, Spartans saw the number of men equalize too. In the 72nd minute, OSA’s Steven Wright received his marching orders with a straight red card after a challenge on the Spartans. And with the sides equal in goals and men on the field, the Spartans pushed for a game-winner.

But it was the visitors who found a way to leave with all three points late in the second half. In the 88th minute, OSA’s Gabe Kellum put away their second goal of the night and the eventual game winner. OSA’s defense were able to make the result stand until full time as they frustrated the onrushing Spartan attack. Spartans’ Brody Voge got a 90th minute yellow card as they tried to salvage a result but were unable.

With the victory, OSA FC were able to take home all three points in the regular season finale and secure a place in the postseason playoffs.

Other Articles