Hershey FC turned it around this weekend with some stellar performances and most importantly an all-around team effort. HFC started the weekend with a 1-0 win Saturday, June 4th over the Electric City Shock and then tied third-place Junior Lone Star FC Sunday, 2-2.

Hershey started off strong in their home game against the Electric City Shock. HFC created several opportunities to score early, hitting the cross bar and forcing the Shock keeper to make some difficult saves in the first fifteen minutes.  This changed when David Shaffer was fouled 23 yards out, setting up a dangerous free kick opportunity.  Shaffer stepped up to take the shot and buried it off the top of the crossbar and into the top netting to give Hershey a 1-0 lead in the middle of the first half.

In the second half, the back line of Hershey kept strong only giving Electric City one good chance, which GK Andrew Raudensky made a great reaction save off a Scranton header, helping Hershey to hold on for the team’s first win of the season.

On Sunday evening, Hershey got off to a great start again, this time versus Junior Lone Star FC.  Hershey’s Adam Clay scored from a quick free kick that he placed perfectly off the post and into the top corner for a 1-0 lead.  Unfortunately, Lone Star quickly struck back with a slotted ball just three minutes later to even the score 1-1.

Midway through the second half, Junior Lone Star got a fortunate bounce off a dangerous cross that resulted in an own goal and a 2-1 deficit for Hershey with less than twenty minutes to play.  Hershey started to push forward for an equalizer, then with just three minutes left in extra time a clear from the back started a counter which was hit up to Adam Clay, who chested it behind the defense to his younger brother, Nathan Clay, who was playing in his first career NPSL game.  Nathan would put his body on the line to reach the ball before the Lone Star keeper and buried the ball in the back of the net.

With just minutes to go Hershey continued to push to try and go for the win and on a miscue from the Lone Star defenders who lost the ball and left Hershey with a wide open path to goal which ended in a shot from Tyler Witmer, who just missed scoring a late game-winner.  Hershey was happy with the result and much credit for the point goes to Phillip Cook, who led the back along with Owen Geedy, who did great in the net for his first NPSL start and made some key saves for Hershey.

HFC is now looking to keep the momentum going with a win over BuxMont Torch at their next home game on Sunday, June 12th at 6:30 pm.

Other Articles

League News
League News